After buying a new Brother MFC 8690DW printer, you have to set up the router properly to carry out your printing jobs. You can set up this printer in two different ways, either by using USB or the wireless network.
To set up the printer wirelessly, you must have some basic idea about the installation process.
How to Proceed with Brother MFC 8690DW Wireless Setup?
Here, you will know some easy steps through which you can set up your newly purchased Brother MFC 8690DW printer easily.
First, unpack the printer device and check all the components properly. Install the toner cartridges and drum unit, which comes along with the printer.
Load the pages in the paper tray of the printer and release the scanner lock. Afterward, connect the telephone line and the power cable. Also, attach the power cable to the electrical supply and turn on the device.
Select your preferred language and then choose the correct Receive Mode. Next, set the Date and Time after settings the LCD contrast.
Afterward, set the Station ID and Fax Transmission Report. Next, you will get the option to set the pulse or tone dialing mode.
Now, you are ready to configure the wireless settings of the brother printer.
Steps to Configure the Wireless Settings on Brother MFC 8690DW Printer
Before implementing the below-discussed steps, you have to note down certain things for further usage:
- Network Name (SSID/ESSID).
- Network Key (Encryption Key, Password).
- Encryption Mode (CKIP, AES, TKIP, WEP, None).
- Authentication Method (LEAP, EAP-FAST, WPA-PSK, WPA2-PSK, Shared Key, Open System).
You can find these items from the documentation provided with the wireless router. Most of the time, the Network Name could be the model or the brand name of the router.
If you don’t know the security information, then you can consult your network service provider for details. Now, you can follow the below steps to configure the wireless settings of your Brother MFC 8690DW printer.
In the beginning, press the Menu key from the Control Panel of the Brother MFC 8690DW printer. Afterward, select the ‘Network’ option by using the Up/Down tab and press the OK button. Next, choose the ‘Setup Wizard’ option and press the OK button once again.
Now, it will start to search for the available SSIDs. So, select the Network Name that you have noted down earlier. Press the OK button to proceed further. If the Network Name is not listed here, then you can enter that manually. Thereafter, choose the ‘Infrastructure’ option and press the OK button.
Now, select one of the options below by using the Up/Down arrow key.
- No Authentication or Encryption: Select the ‘Open System’ option. Press the OK button and select ‘None’ for ‘Encryption Type’. Again, press the OK button and hit ‘1’ to apply the changes. Now, navigate to step 8.
- No Authentication with WEP Encryption: Select the ‘Open System’ option. Press the OK button to continue. Afterward, select ‘WEP’ as ‘Encryption Type’ and tap OK. Now, navigate to step 4.
- Authentication with WEP Encryption: Select the ‘Shared Key’ option and press the OK button. Next, navigate to step 4.
- Authentication with WPA/WPA2-PSK (TKIP or AES) Encryption: Select the ‘WPA/WPA2-PSK’ option and press OK. Now, navigate to step 5.
- Authentication with LEAP: Select the ‘LEAP’ option and press the OK button. Afterward, navigate to step 6.
- Authentication with EAP-FAST/NONE, EAP-FAST/MS-CHAPv2, EAP-FAST/GTC (TKIP or AES Encryption): Select the ‘EAP-FAST/NONE, EAP-FAST/MSCHAP (EAP-FAST/MS-CHAPv2)’ or ‘EAP-FAST/GTC’ option and press the OK button. Now, navigate to step 7.
Afterward, select the appropriate key number and press the OK button. Type the WEP key that you have noted earlier. Press OK once again. Now, hit the ‘1’ button to confirm it. Then, navigate to step 8.
Choose the ‘AES’ or ‘TKIP’ option as ‘Encryption Type’ by using the Up/Down arrow tab and press the OK button. Next, type the ‘WPA/WPA2-PSK’ (TKIP or AES) password you noted down earlier.
After entering the password, press the OK button and then press 1 to apply the settings. Now, navigate to Step 8.
Now, type the User Name and press the OK button to proceed further. Afterward, enter the Password and press OK. Press the 1 button to apply the changed settings. Now, navigate to Step 8.
Select the ‘AES’ or ‘TKIP’ option once again as ‘Encryption Type’ and press OK. Afterward, type the User Name. Press the OK button to proceed further. Next, type the password and press OK. Press the 1 button to apply the modified settings. Now, navigate to Step 8.
Your Brother MFC 8690DW printer will now try to connect to the broadcast network. If the connection is successful, it will display a ‘Connected’ message.
Otherwise, repeat the steps 1-7 accordingly to do the Brother MFC 8690DW wireless setup.